House of Commons presentation, June 18th 2009- European Supergrid and 100% Renewable Energy
Congratulations on organising the above meeting at the HoC about supergrids and thanks for your support in that area.
In connection with supergrids, you may be interested to put some or all of the following links on to the website of the Claverton group:
- Electricity transmission grids
- Kick-start and upgrade: how countries thoughout Europe may benefit soon from “clean power from deserts” See also Kick-start and upgrade (PDF, 128 KB).
- The cascading principle: long-distance transfers of electricity without long-distance transmission
- DESERTEC: security of energy supplies (PDF, 40 KB, 2 sides). Provides reasons why we may have confidence in the security of energy supplies in a DESERTEC scenario.
- How to increase the capacity of an HVAC transmission grid
- Minimising the visual impact of new transmission lines
- Supergrid costs and benefits (PDF, 49 KB, 4 sides). Describes why the proposed EUMENA-wide HVDC supergrid would be good value for money and affordable. See also The cost of building a large-scale HVDC transmission grid.
- Interstate transmission superhighways: paving the way to a low-carbon future (PDF, 239 KB, 7 sides). This is an article from RenewableEnergyWorld.com (2008-07-30), which makes a case for a large-scale grid in the USA.